Things you see at 4:00 am

Like many of my friends I work nights and thus I have the misfortune of being awake for a lot more hours than most people and get time to think and write accodingly. These are just reflections on the curent state of everything I have an opinion about.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Walking the beat.

Tonight as I was walking my normal beat some thoughts were going through my mind about work and how things have been going. I finally received a promotion that I felt had been long overdue back in November, and as I have settled into my new role I realize that I kind of miss my old one.
Let me first explain things in a manner that should make it easy for people to understand what my jobs were. Everyone starts out as a private, the position I was at was Sergeant. Now I am the equivalent of a lieutenant. I spent the majority of my time with the organization as a Sergeant. This included training the new people and an mundane paperwork. The training is what I really miss the most, It never bothered me when someone I trained got promoted to be my equal because to me it was a source of personal pride it meant that my training had served them well. One of the people I trained Is happy to tell everyone they work with that everything they learned about being a sergeant they learned from me, this same individual once gave me the best compliment I have received on the job todate and that was "Lee is like my dad here, he has taught me almost everything and really looked after me." Another one of my trainee's has also paid me a great compliment by asking me to be in his wedding when I asked him why he wanted me he said, "Because you have really helped me along at work and outside of it and I really appreciate it." I realized that I like taking an interest in the new people and taking them under my wing because some one did it for me and I wouldn't be the person I am today if it hadn't been for that individual.

Being a lieutenant doesn't offer me as many opportunities to train the new people anymore, and I miss it. But we have decided to hire 4 new people so hopefully I will get a chance to work with them and teach a few more fresh recruits the way to walk the beat like I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home